Every Jean For Every Leg, Hip and Bottom
Whether you’ve got wide hips, short legs, a barely-there behind, thick thighs or a little extra around the middle, shopping for denim shouldn’t be a challenge to fit a certain mould. Our guide will show that you can look taller & leaner in cuts you never imagined you would wear.
One of the most common complaints among pear-shaped women: if the jeans are roomy enough for their hips and bottom, the waist is always too big. But a contoured cut that doesn’t gape at the waist can make all the difference in the world, especially with a bootcut leg to balance the body.
- Levi’s Denizen Curvy Boot Cut Jeans – the contoured waistband of these super stretchy jeans means they stay in place on your waist, almost as if they’re custom-fitted. The moderate flare of the bootcut also helps offset the width of your hips for a more balanced look.
- NYDJ Barbara Bootcut Jeans – in addition to the flattering boot cut and no-gap waist, this style features a special lift-and-tuck panel that accentuates the curves you love and minimises the lumps you don’t. It also comes in lots of different washes.
- Good American Good Legs High Rise Skinny Jeans – contrary to what you might think, wide hips can look great in skinnies, but they must have a higher waist to lengthen your body, a contoured waistband and a good stretch recovery so that the fit moves with your shape.
- Old Navy Curvy Boot-Cut Jeans – made for curvy shapes, the style simultaneously hugs hips while holding a defined waist. The super-dark rinse has a slenderizing effect too.
A full behind has never been more fashionable, and even a tiny one can join the trend with jeans that make the most of what you’ve got. It all starts with avoiding saggy, high-waisted styles.
- Gap Mid Rise Sculpt True Skinny Jeans – the special sculpting technology in these mid-rise jeans lift up your bottom to its optimal shape and position.
- Amia Lift & Sculpt Jeans – these make an amazing impact by comfortably holding the back of your thighs to cause a greater contrast between your legs and bottom. As if that weren’t enough, the distinct stitching creates a rounding illusion.
- Old Navy High-Rise Built-In Sculpt Rockstar Jeans – as well as sculpting effect fabric, these have a slightly faded colour over the bottom area which emphasises your assets.
It can be a major challenge to find jeans that are roomy enough for thicker thighs without being unflatteringly roomy. The solution: a perfect balance between stretch and space.
- Crafted by Lee Curvy Fit Signature Straight Leg Jeans – the straight cut of these jeans gives thighs the ideal amount of space, while the super-comfy stretch lets you move without created that dreaded sausage-casing effect.
- 7 For All Mankind Josefina Boyfriend Jeans – this classic boyfriend jean offers roomy comfort without looking sloppy, and the distressed elements are just subtle enough not to draw too much attention to areas you may be self-conscious about.
- Gap Mid Rise 360 Stretch Jeans – the stretchy blend of this pair promises to ‘contour and keep up with you’, letting you enjoy the skinny-jeans look without the often-uncomfortable feel that can come with ample thighs.
You might have stopped growing years ago, but that doesn’t mean you can’t lengthen your frame with the right cuts for shorter legs.
- Gap Mid Rise Long & Lean Jeans – the 30.5” inseam on the petite cut of these jeans is the perfect length for fooling the eye into seeing a longer leg, especially with the subtle boot cut.
- Mossimo Curvy Jeggings Crop – a cropped skinny jean that hits right at the ankle (not above) can add a surprising amount of length when the cut is high-waisted and you tuck in your top.
- Paige Manhattan High Waist Bootcut Jeans – a marriage of bootcut and high waist, these jeans were made specifically to flatter petite silhouettes – hard to find from premium denim brands, which usually have super-long inseams.